Boeing Phantom Ray

This week airline analyst Darryl Jenkins joins the guys to add his considerable industry knowledge to the conversation. Darryl is Managing Director at Aviation Consulting Group and author of the Handbook of Airline Economics. He’s worked for many of the world’s airlines, he’s consulted for the FAA, DOT, NTSB and other government agencies as well as many foreign countries. Among other places, you can find Darryl at The Airline Zone (http://www.theairlinezone.com/) which contains a series on the future of the airline industry.

David’s got a short interview with Sean D. Tucker, the Australia Desk sent an interview with Owen Zupp during his arould Australia flight, this time in person at the RAAF Museum at the RAAF Point Cook airbase, and we have This Week in Aviation.

See also the 1940 Air Terminal Museum Airplane site at http://www.1940airterminal.org/ for their fundraising raffle of a vintage 1958 Cessna 172.

Follow the @AirplaneGeeks on Twitter and on Facebook, send us email at thegeeks@airplanegeeks.com, or leave a message on our listener line: (361) GEEKS01.

Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at http://www.brotherloverocks.com/.

8 Responses to “Episode 97 – Darryl Jenkins on Airlines”

1. [Matthew writes:]

Dear Airplane Geeks

I am a young student pilot and was wondering if you could focus on a little bit more on GA and less on Airliners. (no offence to airline crew).

A 15 year old student pilot.

May 19th, 2010 | 4:46 pm
  2. Matthew: Rob has been complaining about the same thing and we’ve tasked him to go out there and find more GA guests.

May 19th, 2010 | 4:47 pm
  3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jon Ostrower and Benet Wilson, Brett Snyder. Brett Snyder said: RT @AvWeekBenet: Kids!! Our good friend (and @crankyflier #aviation godfather) Darryl Jenkins is on @airplanegeeks podcast! http://ow.ly/1NxNp [...]

May 20th, 2010 | 7:56 am
  4. [Young Matthew, a student with passion, writes:]

Dear Airplane Geeks

In reference to you last episode (97). When you said that less young people were interested, well me personally I would save work for a month just to fly for 30 min, would not mind getting in $100,000 in debt. It is for the love and the thrill of flying I don’t care about the pay it is worth it.

Flying is the best thing in the world.

Matthew
    15, student pilot

May 20th, 2010 | 6:00 pm
  5. ErrolC

Hi team, I’ve been listening since I came across The Cranky Flier, and he pointed to Episode 83. I also trade insults with the PCDU Aussies.

Hate to complain about David’s pronunciation, but the Dambusters are “Six One Seven Squadron”, not a funny-sounding American “Six-Seventeen” – even though the Brits made the BAC One-Eleven.

Would have loved to have been at Edwards, maybe someday when your laws are friendlier to tourists.

Keep up the good work.
    @errolwi

May 21st, 2010 | 11:03 pm
  6. ErrolC:

I once had an online argument with a guy about the plural of the word “aircraft.” Did you see “three aircraft” or “three aircrafts”? He said we should all follow proper English and the plural is “aircraft.” I said, it depends on where you live – there is no one proper English. He started to get a little ugly so I walked away from it.

That being said, we do have some pronunciation issues on the podcast. David sometimes says things in his own unique way. I get a bit slurry at times. Rob is pretty good, but I’m tempted to some day count the number of times he says “but let’s be serious” in one episode. Dan can talk so fast I have trouble keeping up, let alone monitor the pronunciation!

Anyway, we get a lot of listener corrections and that’s just fine with me!

Thanks for the comments, and for thanks for listening. We’re glad you found us. Now, go tell someone else!

Max

May 22nd, 2010 | 2:21 am
  7. [...] a sustainable model for the airline industry, it just happens that you don't like the model. The Airplane Geeks Podcast had Darryl Jenkins, author of The Handbook of Airline Economics, on their podcast last week. He [...]

May 27th, 2010 | 7:09 am
  8. That was then, the operating environment for small regional jets changed dramatically over the past few years.

February 26th, 2011 | 10:08 pm