Podcast: Play in new window | Download (43.9MB)
Our guest this episode is Jason Bong, one of the writers and photographers at PHXspotters, a great site for plane spotters and aviation enthusiasts. Jason attended the annual Red Flag event and captured some amazing photographs of military aircraft. See his post, Rookie at Red Flag.
Visitors to the Phoenix area who want to photograph at airports will want to contact PHXspotters for local advice, tips, and spotting support. You can also find the group on Facebook.
In addition to the airplane spotting discussion, we have aviation news from the past week, The Australia Desk Report by Steve and Grant from the Plane Crazy Down Under podcast, and Pieter Johnson his Across the Pond segment.
The week’s aviation news:
- Alliance Applauds Progress on FAA Reauthorization Bills
- FAA Forecasts Steady Growth In U.S. Airline Traffic
- Twin Cities near-miss cited among increasing air traffic mistakes
- Bizjets and LSAs To Pace Genav Rebound
- United to begin deploying 757s on Dulles transatlantic routes
- Continental to get United’s roomier seats
- Photorecon A site devoted to aircraft photography and aviation
- Classic Warbirds Great photogalleries
- Plane Spotter Spotting guide
- vc10.net A Little VC10derness
- Aviation Queen Aviation, journalism, and social media from Benet Wilson
- Turbojet operation- centrifugal flow.png
- Thromby Air Not your average low cost airline
- Airline Monkeynomics
- LGB Blog
More aviation reading:
- Airways and Airwaves by Dave Gwinn.
- Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos by Thomas Petzinger Jr.
- Splash of Colors: The Self-Destruction of Braniff International by John J. Nance.
- The Sporty Game: The High-Risk Competitive Business of Making and Selling Commercial Airliners by John Newhouse.
- Naked Airport: A Cultural History of the World’s Most Revolutionary Structure by Alastair Gordon.
Photo by Brodie Winkler
Follow the @AirplaneGeeks on Twitter and on Facebook, send us email at email@example.com, or leave a message on our listener line: (361) GEEKS01.
Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at http://www.brotherloverocks.com/.
Pingback: Tweets that mention Airplane Geeks - Episode 136 - Spotting with Jason | Airplane Geeks Podcast -- Topsy.com
Pingback: It’s Friday Link Love! « Aviation Queen
I would like to comment on the technology that seems to be pushed towards getting new pilots. For instance, the Skycatcher, glass cockpit!! This in my mind is like putting two bob in the slot machine to play space invaders!!
Some stories and interviews I have heard, are that younger pilots don’t want an “old steam gauged” plane to fly in! May I ask why!! There seems to be a perception here that older planes are just no good to learn in!! Why are some of these instructors and commentaters pushing Glass!! TO GET MONEY!!
This worries me a lot! Okay learning to fly in a Chippy or Tiger Month seems a long time ago, but pilots are supposed to think! Maybe it seems that pilotless planes will come in because of this attitude by the commercial heavy weights! I really hope that accidents and worst, don’t start to increase, but it seems like that may be a trend that could be starting to happen!
Just some food for thought! Maybe we (in aviation) need to ‘nip it in the bud” and forget about soft seats and shiney panels!