Bill English is a commercial pilot, multi and instrument CFI, and he’s flown corporate, charter, and was an air traffic controller in Boston and NY. Bill has written for IFR Magazine and worked on procedures design and internal investigations for the FAA. Currently, Bill is a National Transportation Safety Board Investigator in Charge, in the Major Aviation Investigations Division.
The week’s aviation news:
- With Stratolaunch project, Paul Allen makes a big bet on commercial spaceflight
- Boeing 737 MAX Logs First Firm Order from Launch Customer Southwest Airlines
- TSA chief in favor of advocates at all airports
- Gun from passenger’s bag in Atlanta airport accidentally fired
In this week’s Australia Desk report: Snow at Christmas?? Surely not! We’re having a beach BBQ for this report! Air New Zealand’s financial losses spell bad news for staff numbers and routes to Europe, Air Pacific doing better financially than last year, Virgin Australia catching up to Qantas in customer satisfaction ratings – Tiger Airways came last….again. The final Australia Desk for 2011 finishes with some messages of thanks and best wishes for 2012.
This week on Across the Pond, Pieter Johnson talks to Mark Maiden, the presenter of The Maiden Flight Podcast. Mark is a student pilot in Dublin, Ireland and explains what is required to gain a private license in Ireland. We hear aboiut some lessons learned in finding a flying school, airsickness and having the throttle on the left hand side of the pilot. Its a worthy listen if you are learning to fly.
Mentioned in the episode:
- Stratolaunch Systems
- Qantas: The Unliking of an Iconic Australian Brand (video)
- Max Trescott Trends Aloft
- Twas The Night Before Christmas — Aviation Style
Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at http://www.brotherloverocks.com/.