Guest David Allen produces the great video podcast Other People’s Airplanes, where he takes you with him on flights in, well, other people’s airplanes. He also co-hosts the popular Pilot’s Flight PodLog, a hangar flying podcast. Follow David on Twitter as @DaveFlys.
We talk about how David uses multiple GoPro cameras mounted on the airplane to capture an immersive in-cockpit video experience, and some exciting changes coming to the Pilot’s Flight PodLog. David has also seen the first rough cut of the documentary film, A Pilot’s Story and he gives us a little taste of that. This will be a DVD that we’ll all want to own when it becomes available. David tells us what it takes to do what he does, and how you can too. Also, if you stick with the show, you’ll hear where the handle Ducky came from.
The week’s aviation news:
- Air Traffic Controllers Caught Sleeping In The Tower At Westchester Airport
- FAA: Ditch The 3rd Class Medical Petition, Denied
- NTSB calls for safety upgrades for Boeing 737 cabin, pilot seats
- National Transportation Safety Board – Safety Recommendation
- F-35 Plane Falls Short on Goals Costing Lockheed $32 Million
In this week’s Australia Desk report: In this week’s Australia Desk report: Grant has been to an air show without Steve! Air New Zealand announces job cuts following low profit figures, Air New Zealand confirms the purchase of two additional 787-9s, Virgin Australia announces profit increase of 118% on same time last year, RAAF may reconsider purchase of C27J Spartans – Airbus Military keen to sell them C295s instead.
This week on the Across The Pond segment, Pieter Johnson talks to Simon Atack, one of the world’s greatest aviation artists. We find out how Simon starting drawing and painting aeroplanes and what inspires him to keep producing his amazing pictures.
Mentioned in the episode:
Links from listeners:
- Conquistadors del Cielo
- Bob Crandall’s return to American Airlines
- AA Bankruptcy Song
- Bye Bye American Pride
- West Coast DHC-6-100 C-FGQH Twin Otter at Vancouver Harbour Seaplane Terminal
- A fantasy camp for airline nerds
Isaac’s Seattle links:
- Aviation Geek Fest
- The Museum of Flight
- 2012 NorthWest Scale Modelers Show
- Future of Flight
- The Flying Heritage Collection
- Historic Flight at KILO-7
- Legend Flyers – Me 262 Project
- Museum of Flight Restoration Center
- Visit Seattle
- Sea-Tac International Airport
Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at http://www.brotherloverocks.com/.