Guest Leigh White is President of Alertness Solutions. We talk about the science of fatigue and how it can be applied to aviation, be it for pilots, cabin crew, air traffic controllers, and others. Leigh talks about new fatigue management requirements, how to integrate those with existing processes, and how fatigue management is really an enhancement of operator safety management systems.
When managing a flight department and incorporating fatigue into the operation, there are four main factors to be aware of:
1. a continuum of performance impairment, not just falling asleep
2. focus on circadian rhythm
3. the hours of wakefulness (at 16 hours there is a significant performance drop) – impact on long duty days
4. sleep debt – the cumulative effect of insufficient sleep
The week’s aviation news:
- ALPA Galvanizes Industry Efforts to Combat Pilot Fatigue
- Cessna to develop a plan to build business jets in China
David’s aircraft of the Week: the Lockheed JetStar.
In this week’s Australia Desk report: Grant is out sick and Steve has been in South Australia covering the Parafield Air Show where among others, he recorded an interview with Flight Lieutenant Richard Morris, a pilot with the RAAF Display Team “The Roulettes.” We give the airline news a break this week as we hear about life in the RAAFs elite display team. Find out more about the Roulettes at www.airforce.gov.au/roulettes and follow the RAAF on Twitter @airforcehq.
In the Across the Pond segment, Gareth Stringer and Tim Robinson talk with Pieter Johnson about the English Electric Lightning, C135′s at Mildenhall, the Singapore Air Show, and an old piece of Royal Aeronautical Society film footage that has surfaced of some great historical aircraft.
Links to items in the Across the Pond segment:
- Global Aviation Magazine
- The Royal Aeronautical Society’s Centenary Garden Party in 1966 – caught on film
Links from Listener Email:
- Department of Transport, Bureau of Air Safety Investigation Report, Boeing 727-277 VH-ANA
- VH-ANA photo
- Watchdog: Many co-pilots don’t meet training standards
- Air Canada maintenance firm gets bankruptcy protection
- Is Boeing’s 737 an Airplane Prone to Problems?
- Infinite Flight for iOS
Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at http://www.brotherloverocks.com/.