F-22 by Ian Kershaw
This episode we feature contributions from our listeners: comments, feedback, news items, links, and more, from email and recordings.
You’ll hear about the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, USAF Museum lecture series recordings, good aviation books, Institute for Women of Aviation Worldwide, stories of aviation as first love, the F-22 Raptor and the YF-23, the F-35 performance bar, aviation’s carbon footprint, fear of flying, personal electronic devices inflight, a petition to change an airport name, privacy invasion by drones, an Iranian fighter (perhaps), and thoughts on aviators we have lost.
The week’s aviation news:
- US Air Force hopes to upgrade aggressor F-16s
- Report: FAA slow to implement new airline-safety regulations
- Boeing 787 grounding persists; Airbus comfortable with A350 batteries
- Failure Modes Featured In 787 Battery Reassessment
- NTSB’s Hersman Reportedly a Top Candidate for Transportation Secretary
- Move Past LaHood… and the Sooner the Better
Cessna c-190 by David Vanderhoof
David’s Aircraft of the Week is the Cessna C-190/195.
In this week’s Australia Desk report:
Grant has been in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia this week as a guest of Malaysia Airlines as they formerly joined the One World alliance. He met and spoke with a number of high ranking airline officials including Qantas CEO Allan Joyce, and recorded some interviews with a number of them. For this edition, he calls in from the business class lounge at Kuala Lumpur International Airport as he wait to board his flight for the return trip to Melbourne.
In this report:
- Q quick interview with the CEO of OneWorld, Bruce Ashby
- The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission gives the green light for Virgin Australia’s purchase of Sky West
- The federal government is selling the fleet of former Royal Australia Navy Sea King helicopters as parts, retaining on example for preservation at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at NAS Nowra, New South Wales.
Find more from Grant and Steve at the Plane Crazy Down Under podcast, and follow the show on Twitter at @pcdu Steve’s at @stevevisscher and Grant at @falcon124. Australia Desk archives can be found at www.australiadesk.net.
YF-23 on taxiway
In this week’s Across the Pond segment:
We return to Scotland to talk to Ian Grosz about his passion for flying the J4 Auster. A taildragger with not too much performance buts lots of personality.
Jodi and Bell Long Ranger
- aviationweek.com/787 for continuing stories on the 787 fleet grounding
- National Museum of the US Air Force – Museum Podcasts
- Institute for Women Of Aviation Worldwide (iWOAW)
- This Is What Regret Looks Like To The US Air Force
- Pentagon lowers F-35 performance bar
- Your Biggest Carbon Sin May Be Air Travel
- Disruptions: Fliers Must Turn Off Devices, but It’s Not Clear Why
- Do Electronic Gadgets Really Affect an Airplane’s Instruments?
- Interference from Electronic Devices
- Eve Cogan
- Flight of the Drones
Opening and closing music courtesy Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at www.brotherloverocks.com.