Phil Derner, Jr. from NYCAviation joins us to talk about his job as a Flight Dispatcher for a major airline. We talk about Flight Dispatcher roles and responsibilities: building a safe and legal flight plan, monitoring the flight, communicating with the pilots, making routing and fueling decisions, and more.
We have an interview with Mike Karrels, also a Flight Dispatcher for a major US airline. He calls it “the greatest job in the world.” We get some additional insights into the profession from Mike, who writes the My Fifty Percent blog, “A flight dispatcher’s view of the airline industry.”
The Week’s Aviation News:
David Vanderhoof’s Aircraft of the Week: The Convair B-58 Hustler, Part II.
In This Week’s Australia Desk:
Steve and Grant are introduced to a whole new term this week: “Drip Pricing” – it seems the ACCC are using the term to cover all the various additional charges that most airlines (especially the “low cost” ones) are using. Apparently they may be considered “false representation” or “misleading or deceptive conduct.”
Meanwhile, in other news:
- The newly elected Australian Federal government has launched their Aviation Safety Review as they promised in the election (a kept promise? Grant is amazed!)
- Virgin Australia are raising an extra $350 million via a “rights issue” which could be an indication that they *might* go private (despite Air New Zealand denying it strongly).
- Air New Zealand are themselves suspending trade of their shares as the Kiwi government looks to sell down their share to 53%
- The Australian Defence Force provides heavy lift assistance to help get emergency equipment, supplies & medical teams to the Phillipines.
In this week’s Across the Pond segment:
We talk to Etienne Maillard an Air Traffic Controller in the Geneva Tower about the new wake turbulence rules at the airport, changing flying school, flying the Tecnam and Robin DR400 and the oncoming winter season.
If you visit Etienne’s Flicker Account you will see some of the most amazing aerial shots he has taken whilst flying in the Alps, as well as some great shots from Geneva Tower.
- India’s Martian MOM lays another perfect orbital egg
- Arrowhead Stadium, 49 Plane Flyover, Chiefs vs Raiders
- Boeing tests second 787-9 Dreamliner in United States
- Digital bag tags could make paper luggage tags obsolete
- Top 100 Airplanes: Platinum Edition
And Flying Heavy Metal with Bruce Dickinson via Mick in Perth:
- Episode 1 – Jet Race
- Episode 2 – Jet Set
- Episode 3 – Size Matters
- Episode 4 – Safer Skies
- Episode 5 – Watch This Space
Opening and closing music courtesy Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at www.brotherloverocks.com.