Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:51:09 — 50.9MB)
We celebrate our 500th episode with messages from our listeners and contributors, some Airplane Geeks facts and trivia, an AusDesk report, and a big announcement. In the news, we look at an emergency airworthiness directive for certain CFM engines, and a proposed mandatory retirement age for charter pilots.
FAA orders ’emergency’ engine inspections after deadly explosion during Southwest flight
A Southwest Airlines B737 experienced an uncontained failure in one of its CFM56-7B engines that resulted in the death of one passenger. The engine manufacturer, CFM International, issued a service bulletin for ultrasonic testing of the fan blades. This can be performed on-engine in about four hours. The FAA said the “emergency” order was based on a service bulletin. CFMI estimates 352 engines in the U.S. are affected and 681 engines worldwide.
The FOX News Rundown Podcast for 4/20/2018.
The Pilot Who Saved That Southwest Flight Is A Badass
Video: Turbine engine blade fail test
AARP Opposes Age 65 Retirement Age for Charter Pilots
A manager’s amendment in the FAA reauthorization bill would require a mandatory retirement age of 65 for certain Part 135 charter and Part 91K fractional pilots. In a letter to House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster and ranking member Pete DeFazio, the AARP says they have “long opposed mandatory retirement; using an arbitrary age as a proxy for competence is wrong in any occupation, and it is wrong for pilots.”
Well Wishes and Messages for 500 Episodes
Our sincere thanks to all our listeners, past guests, and especially:
- The AeroShell Aerobatic Team.
- Dave Hirschman, AOPA Pilot Magazine Editor at Large.
- Dave Shallbetter, Chairman of Sun ‘n Fun Radio.
- Carl Valeri from the Stuck Mic AvCast and the Aviation Careers Podcast.
- Dave Pascoe from Live ACT.net.
- Jack, Dave, and Jeb from the Uncontrolled Airspace podcast.
- John and Martha King from King Schools.
- Kevin Lacey from Airplane Repo on the Discovery Channel.
- Lance Phillips, Marketing Director at Mooney International.
- Mark Baker, AOPA CEO.
- Melissa Rudinger from AOPA Live.
- Paul Bertorelli of AvWeb.
- Pilot Jim Gee from Uncontrolled Airspace, the Stuck Mic AvCast, and Sun ‘n Fun Radio.
- Rob Reider, air show announcer, host of the Sporty’s Pilot Shops “Learn to Fly” videos.
- Steve Pope from Flying Magazine.
- Tom Haines, AOPA Editor in Chief.
- Dave Homewood, the Wings Over New Zealand Show.
- Pieter Johnson, Gareth Stringer, Tim Robinson from Xtended.
- Lt Col Grijspaardt, Commander 302 Squadron, Dutch Royal Air Force.
- Jennifer Adams, Tales from the Terminal.
- Steve Vischer and Grant McHerron.
- Our Main(e) Man Micah.
Five Airplane Geeks “Tips”
- Our first 6 episodes.
- The Airplane Geeks archive.
- Subscribe by Email.
- The AvGeekFests aviation calendar.
- The Airplane Geeks Slack Team.
Outtro by Bruno Misonne from The Sound of Flaps.