Airplane Geeks Mission Control by the Art Department at ThrombyAir.com.
Max Trescott was the 2008 National CFI of the Year and produces training books, CD’s, and iPhone GPS guides. Max knows flying and how to teach it like few others. He’s a frequent speaker at AOPA Aviation Summits and this year’s event was no exception – Max presented on flying the new WAS-based approaches and also tips for learning to fly a glass-based cockpit. We talk with Max about the Aviation Summit in Palm Springs which launched with the Parade of Planes and saw many interesting announcements and product introductions.
The week’s aviation news:
- 24 Miles, 4 Minutes and 834 M.P.H., All in One Jump.
- Qatar Airways to join Oneworld Alliance.
- All Three Airline Alliances Undergoing Big Changes.
- AA pilots picket oneworld welcome ceremony for Qatar Airways.
- Airline passenger arrested wearing bulletproof vest, flying with bizarre weapons cache was mostly playing by airport security rules.
- Feds: Passenger had murder directions on computer.
In this week’s Australia Desk report:
An RAAF Air Traffic Controller is stood down pending an investigation after a “Loss of separation assurance” incident near Darwin, Fiji Airways reveals new A330 livery, Avalon Airport in Victoria given approval to become Melbourne’s second international airport, the Federal Government grants formal approval for the Qantas/Emirates deal, RAAF AP3-C Orions from 10SQN returning to Australia after 10 years continuous deployment in the Middle East.
Find more from Grant and Steve at the Plane Crazy Down Under podcast, and follow the show on Twitter at @pcdu Steve’s at @stevevisscher and Grant at @falcon124. Australia Desk archives can be found at www.australiadesk.net.
In this week’s Across the Pond segment:
We continue the Royal Navy Historic Flight Mini series with a look at the Sea Fury.
Pieter continues our behind the scenes look at the Royal Navy Historic Flight. This week we get to talk to Chief Engineer Howard Reed about the rebuild of the Swordfish and what it takes to get it and then keep it air worthy. For more see Royal Navy Historic Flight and Fly Navy Heritage Trust.
Listener Jodi’s 1978 Cessna 152
- AOPA Flying Club Finder.
- West Valley Flying Club.
- China Clipper DVD in Amazon.com.
- Pub near Dulles Airport lets patrons listen in as air-traffic controllers talk to pilots (O’Malley’s Pub, in the airport’s Holiday Inn.)
- Mosquito Show 29th Sep 2012 Photos in the The Wings Over New Zealand Forum.
- D.H.98 Mosquito Photo’s Please, Just Because I love looking at them in The Aviation Forum.
- D.H. 98 Mosquito to fly in New Zealand! in FerrariChat.
- Legal Fee Voyeurism: American Airlines’s Big-Time Bankruptcy Bills.
Opening and closing music courtesy Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at www.brotherloverocks.com.