Podcast: Play in new window | Download (49.6MB)
Guest Steve Harris is currently a senior at the University of Michigan in Aerospace Engineering and writes the Aeroscholar blog. He’s also the president of the UofM Student Chapter of The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), and is a member of the Jet Engine Team of Michigan. Steve is starting to pursue a private pilot’s license, he has taken students on a tour of the top aerospace companies in southern California, he attends the Aerospace Sciences Meeting every year, and through the AIAA he lobbies for the aerospace industry in Washington D.C. Steve Tweets as @Aeroscholar.
The week’s aviation news:
- David Vanderhoof gives us a report on the Space Shuttle swap-out at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum’s Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport. He spoke with NASA Director Charles F. “Charlie” Bolden, NASM Curator Dr. Helen Morill, and Senator John Glenn.
- Dan spoke with Virgin Galactic’s CEO and President George Whitesides aboard Virgin America’s inaugural flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia.
- Warbirds Facing Doom?
- American Airlines unions, US Airways announce deal to support merger
- Merged airline would be called American Airlines, headquartered in Fort Worth
- Bates: US Airways has a good plan, American Airlines doesn’t
- A JET FLIGHT PASSENGER’S NIGHTMARE: Delta flight forced to emergency land after bird strike takes out a 757 jet engine
- Business Expert Videos Delta 1063 Mid Air Bird Strike
David’s aircraft of the Week: the Aérospatiale SA 315B Lama.
No Australia Desk news report this week, but you can still find more from Grant and Steve at the Plane Crazy Down Under podcast, and follow the show on Twitter at @pcdu Steve’s at @stevevisscher and Grant at @falcon124.
This week on Across the Pond, Pieter talks again to Rohit Rao from AeroBlogger about developments in India with the focus on airlines. There’s more news from Kingfisher and the guys look at some of the new airlines starting up in the region. Find Rohit on Twitter as @TheAeroBlogger.
Find Pieter Johnson on Twitter as @Nascothornet, on his blog Alpha Tango Papa, and also on Facebook at XTPMedia.
Links from Listener Email:
Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at http://www.brotherloverocks.com/.
Post photo by David Vanderhoof
Pingback: Aeroscholar Talks with the AiplaneGeeks | Aeroscholar
It was a pleasure being on the show. The students at the University of Michigan have enjoyed listening to the episode! I hope your viewers didn’t hate me too much.
It was a pleasure having you on the show, Steve! Maybe some of those UofM students could consider starting a school podcast. I don’t think I’ve encountered an Aerospace Department doing that. Might be an interesting project.