David brings us some of his interviews from the May 11-13, 2012 Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst air show which returned after a four year hiatus. He spoke with:
Col. Chris Patterson from the 621st Contingency Response Wing
Jim Record, #7 form the Geico Skytypers
Martin Sheehan, Jeffrey Daniel, and Morten Stoverud from the Northeast Raiders
The week’s aviation news:
- Private jet door lands on South Florida golf course fairway; no injuries reported
- Airbus To Retrofit Wings On 120 A380s
- NTSB Study Finds More Than 10 Percent of Accidents Occurred on First Flight of Experimental Amateur-Built Aircraft; Improved Training and Better Documentation Recommended
David’s Aircraft of the Week: the Sud Aviation Caravelle. See
In this week’s Australia Desk report:
Recorded live at the Qantas Maintenance Base at Melbourne Airport (on the back of the PCDU Mobile) after our tour of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner (ZA003). Qantas announces the closure of Melbourne heavy maintenance operations with nearly 500 jobs lost, Qantas also announces that they will split into separate domestic & international divisions, GippsAero have the first flight of their new GA10 Airvan, Grant has an interesting theory on Qantas Group B787 usage as the first 15 airframes are all going to Jetstar.
In this week’s Across the Pond segment:
On Across The Pond this week Pieter talks to Richard Cooke a PPL (H) license holder. He has held a JAR PPL(H) since 2010 on the R22 and is also rated on the R44.With time in the seat of a S300 and B206 as well, Richard tells us about his flying experience. With a father who was a QHI flying the Lynx in the Army Air Corps, it was not a surprise that Richard became very passionate about helicopters too. Listen in to what’s involved in becoming a helicopter pilot.
Richard can be found on twitter as @rotorrich and Helicentre Aviation as @flyhelicentre. Helicentre Aviations’s website is www.flyheli.co.uk and the scholarship website is www.helicopterscholarships.com.
Mentioned this episode:
- Grill the Geeks 747/380 photo.
- Experimental Aircraft Association
- NTSB Spotlights Safety Factors for Homebuilt Aircraft
- Sonex Aircraft.
- Xtended, Pieter Johnson’s new aviation podcast.
- BBC – Lost: The Mystery of Flight 447
Opening and closing music is provided by Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at www.brotherloverocks.com.