Podcast: Play in new window | Download (43.5MB)
At Simple Flight, Al and Marc produce a aviation radio show that goes live Sunday nights from 8:00pm to 10:00pm Central Time (U.S.) You can also listen to the audio archive anytime, or subscribe as a podcast in iTunes. Since the Simple Flight show is live, Al and Marc get a lot of listener interaction in real time.
The website offers other content for pilots, including an aviation blog, aviation photography, flight instruction. We talk about the live show, the next great flying club – delivering new pilots to aviation, and even Rod Rakic’s new Open Airplane project.
Find the guys and the site on Twitter as: @Al_H2Oloo (clever, eh?), @mepner, and @SimpleFlightNet.
The week’s aviation news:
- Paris Air Show 2013 – Wrap-Up
- Boeing’s new Dreamliner steps up big jet battle
- Embry-Riddle lands global partner at Paris air show
- Airbus wins order battle at Paris Airshow
- Embraer Signs With Boeing to Market the KC-390
- NTSB Asked To Reopen TWA800 Investigation
- FAA Moves Ahead to ease restrictions on electronic devices
- United Airlines Forgets Toilet Paper On 10-Hour Flight From San Francisco To London
David Vanderhoof’s Aircraft of the Week is Sue’s Bird, the Piper PA-24 Comanche.
In this week’s Australia Desk:
Winter weather has been causing trouble in for flights Australia’s south east this week, especially with fog causing many diversions. Mid week, two B737s, one Qantas & one Virgin Australia, diverted to the rural city of Mildura in Victoria; an airport normally accustomed to regional turboprop aircraft, and one that lacks an ILS. As the fog began to envelop Mildura as well, the Virgin 737, after two missed approaches, declared a fuel emergency and landed in what has been described as below minima for the airport. This has lead to an ATSB investigation which is due to report by March 2014.
Virgin Australia flight makes emergency landing in Victoria
Low fuel diversion involving Boeing 737-8FE, VH-YIR, Mildura Airport, Victoria on 18 June 2013
RAAF KC-30A tankers now operational and recently participated in Exercise Aces North, the culmination of the Fighter Combat Instructor course, in the skies over the Northern Territory.
KC-30As participate in Aces North
GippsAero rolls out GA8 Airvan number 200
Australia’s entrant in the Airbus Fly Your Ideas contest, from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, places second overall. A great result!
Melbourne’s RMIT comes second in Airbus Fly Your Ideas global competition
Grant talks about his balloon flying over the weekend with PCDU team member, Kathy Mexted
Find more from Grant and Steve at the Plane Crazy Down Under podcast, and follow the show on Twitter at @pcdu. Steve’s at @stevevisscher and Grant at @falcon124. Australia Desk archives can be found at www.australiadesk.net.
- Open Airplane – Rent an airplane at participating FBOs or Flight Schools near you!
- Be the first Singaporean in space come 2015?
- Reflections on the Arrival, Preparation and Display of Space Shuttle Endeavour
- California Science Center – Air and Space Exhibits
- Wing walker, pilot die in crash at Ohio air show
- Airbus A350XWB site
- 1500 hours or Nothing, from Flying And Technology blog.
- Tupolev 154 Reverses Power Before Touchdown!
- 50 years after lesson, Mass. woman flies again
Opening and closing music courtesy Brother Love from the Album Of The Year CD. You can find his great music at www.brotherloverocks.com.