- This event has passed.
Arsenal of Democracy Victory Gala and Flyover
September 24, 2020 - September 25, 2020
Press release March 18, 2020: Given the increasing concerns and directives related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Arsenal of Democracy (AOD) Executive Planning Committee has rescheduled the AOD Victory Gala and Flyover commemorating the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II to September 24th-25th.
Note: The dates below are the original dates, not the rescheduled dates.
The Commemoration Mission
- To thank and honor veterans of World War II, including personnel who were held as prisoners of war or listed as missing in action, for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans.
- To educate the public about the history of World War II and highlight the service of the Armed Forces during World War II and the contributions of federal agencies and governmental and nongovernmental organizations that served with or in support of the Armed Forces.
- To pay tribute to the contribution made on the home front by the people of the United States during World War II.
- To recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies.
- To remember the Holocaust.
Aligning with the sequence of history, and coming full circle, we will honor the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII with two signature events that highlight the May 8, 1945 celebration of the end of fighting in Europe and the September 2, 1945 signing of the instrument of surrender in the very harbor where the war began for our country.
A historic flyover the skies of Washington DC will include over 100 WWII warbird aircraft representing the United States and the British Commonwealth and other key allies, documenting the major battles of the global conflict. Over a period of five days, inclusive of the flyover and international ceremony held at the WWII Memorial, education and public programming will honor veterans, inspire youth, and remind the world of the commitments to global peace and friendship that followed WWII.
Arsenal of Democracy – Historic Aerial Parade
Washington, D.C. on Friday, May 8, 2020, as part of the Arsenal of Democracy 75th World War II Victory Commemoration Flyover.
Approximately 100 World War II aircraft will take to the sky in 20 historically sequenced warbird formations. These formations will fly over the Washington Mall in two minute intervals. The formations will represent the War’s major battles, from Battle of Britain through the final air assault on Japan, and concluding with a missing man formation.
More than 20 different types of vintage military aircraft are expected to participate in the flyover. Aircraft are being provided by multiple organizations and individuals whose mission is to preserve these historic artifacts in flying condition. Some of the historic aircraft expected to participate include the P-40 Warhawk, P-39 Airacobra, P-38 Lightning, P-51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, F4U Corsair, B-25 Mitchell, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-29 Superfortress, and many others.